Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wheelis (1973) claims that, “the only appropriate goal for the therapist is to assist,” and I find that this seems to be my own personal belief as I jump into the beginnings of the internship process (p. 19).  The online Merriam-Webster Dictionary (2011) defines the verb “assist” as the act of giving, “supplementary support or aid;” most interestingly, however, I find that the word “assist” comes from the Latin assistere, “to cause to stand.”  I find the Latin origin particularly compelling because it gives the image of a therapist as one who gives the client ability to stand on his or her own two feet.  It is the client’s toes, feet, legs, plus all of the bones, tendons, and muscles, doing the actual work and yet, the therapist is the actual force that pushes the client into the upward, erect position.  
Sculpture by David Robinson, Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment