Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kitchen Mishaps

Just laugh at this stuff, right?  Last night, I omitted our kitchen mishaps from the lovely salmon story because the story was too nice to ruin it with our screw ups.  T was experimenting with a new Thai-inspired sauce recipe that called for vinegar and honey; then, oddly enough, after simmering all the ingredients together for 10 minutes or so the recipe said to put the pan (with the sauce), directly in the refrigerator to cool the sauce off.  Heated honey, cold refrigerator, bad idea.  So the sauce became some type of molten lava, and hardened to every surface it touched - our glass casserole dish, the salmon itself, the baster, the fry pan, and our plates.  It was everywhere.  Sort of like this:


Disclaimer: This is actual molten lava.  Not our dinner.
Sorry for the confusion.




The fish was delicious, as I said, but hard for me to enjoy while I was preoccupied with the thought that we may have ruined something from every category in our kitchen.


Today is the first day of my reading week that actually feels like reading week because I haven't had to step foot inside my school once.  So, I was on a mission to make homemade pesto from scratch.   There's something like 6 ingredients, two of which include salt and pepper, so it's deceivingly simple.  So I drop all of the ingredients into our blender, which was kindly donated by the House of Love at the end of last year, and start the liquifying process.  There are exactly one billion basil leaves in the blender at this point, and none of them want to scootch down to touch a blade.  So I open the drop hole on the blender, while it's still on, and start scraping down with my rubber spatula.  And yes, as you may have predicted, my spatula was chopped by the blade.  At first, there was just a little slice in the end - no big deal, nothing lost.  I had to keep scraping the food down, so I turned the blender off to give it one good wiping all the way around.  And then my rubber spatula got stuck, at the bottom, under a blade...and slid off the handle as I was tugging.  The spatula part of my spatula was stuck under a blade in the bottom of a blender filled with thick, green, pasty pesto.  Once I dug my hand down there and got it out, a giant chunk out of the top of the spatula was gone.  So I fondled around at the bottom with a metal spoon to try to find the missing chunk because Lord knows T doesn't want black rubber in his pesto.  To no avail.  So I just start blending again.  And then realize I have broken the blender because the chunk of rubber is stuck somewhere in the blade moving mechanism.

Oh yea.


But T just got home, dipped a cracker in the little tupperware of pesto, and said it was delicious.  


I love keeping secrets.

1 comment:

  1. comedy of errors much? i missed your blog, glad it's back. sorry you're so tired and overwhelmed. i also miss you. a lot. sending love and prayers and so much goodness your way. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete