Tuesday, February 22, 2011

We're Tired

I feel neglectful to my blog.  I've thought of it often in the past couple of weeks, but haven't gotten around to writing about it.  Oddly enough, now that I'm sitting down to write, I can't figure out if too much has gone on or absolutely nothing has gone on (that's interesting) since I've last written, so I feel at a loss for words.  


T's hand is still broken.  It's also still in a cast.  He goes back to the doctor March 2nd to get the cast off, get a removable splint put back on, and start physical therapy.  Thank the LORD for removable splints.  Adjusting to T's new limitations have been much tougher than I anticipated; it makes me all the more thankful for everything he does for us (and by us, I mean me).  In the meantime, I'm adjusting to a steep learning curve and balancing what feels like a whole lot more on my plate at one time.  Or maybe I'm spinning a lot more plates than I once was.  There is some metaphor about plates and having way too much to do.


I'm in the middle of my reading week.  This means I have no class and can theoretically catch up on all the reading I'm behind on.  I was hoping to, instead, get ahead on reading for pleasure, but haven't done either.  T and I are so exhausted by the end of every day; I'm not sure the weariness has ever felt this strong since we've been married.  Then, of course, the more tired you are, the more you pick fights and are just, in general, less pleasant to be around.  I can certainly say that's been the case for me - meaning, I KNOW I am less pleasant to be around.  


Thankfully the longer T goes, the less medicine he has to take, and the more normal he feels.    I can already tell a huge difference today than even a day or two days ago.  We're both still exhausted, but he seems a little more himself.  I'm sure having the routine of going back to work helped him, too.  


Today there was some reprieve.  Despite the absolutely wretched and baffling weather (I left the house dressed for almost-spring, even wearing sunglasses because I NEEDED them.  When T picked me up from work at 5:00 - it was sleeting!), we experienced a "first" together today.  We drove across the 15th Ave. bridge (a few of you will actually know what I'm referring to here), and when we normally admire the piles of boats, masts, and fishing nets, we turned into the parking lot that all of those boats float next to.  Through the snow/sleet/ice/rain/mess, we found the Wild Salmon Seafood Market and walked right up to the counter to order - a one pound filet of Coho Salmon, caught today.  The clerk wrapped up our treasure, rang us up, and we went home and cooked right away.  Let me just TELL you.  That was some impeccable fish (except for the heavy-handedness on the Cayenne pepper) - no knife needed; I barely even needed to chew.  It just melted on my tongue.  What a delight it is to live in a place where we can eat like that!   


If nothing else in the past week, we have eaten REALLY good food.  Some cooked by us, some cooked by friends, and once at a restaurant.  


As a cherry on top of our night, poor T tipped over a mug of coffee into our oven.  As most of you know, we live without a microwave, and so in order to reheat, we go the oven.  So, since this wasn't the first time this happened (Natalie, I love you), we peeled up the nasty, blackened, tin foil baked to the bottom of the oven, scrubbed as best we could, and put some new liner down.  Nothing like dessert!


We needs some prayers for rest and joy.  We're finding it I think the best we can in little moments, but I vote that little moments just ain't cuttin' it.  


In my attempt to read for pleasure, I started reading Three Cups of Tea and have gotten to page 10 in about 4 days.  Not good.  I've heard this book is amazing so I'm hoping to find more time later in the week.  I am reminded of a quote at the beginning of the first chapter, which states,
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
Yes.  It is dark enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment