Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Home away from home away from home

Sunset Beach is like a second (or third, or fourth...) home to me.  My family began going to Sunset before I was born and I grew up spending summers and spring breaks on that glorious little island.  The thing about it is that there isn't much to show or tell about.  It's about a mile long, complete with houses, pier, about five little shops, and beach.  That's it.  It's not especially romantic but, to me, it's childhood.  It's a place where we never locked our doors, our parents never worried where we were, and everything was just a bike ride or walk away ("everything" meaning ice cream, the beach, junk shops, and canals to play in).  It was my heaven.  While I know that there were countless times of complaining, feeling bored, hated the heat, and cried of sunburn, my memories of Sunset Beach are mostly heavenly.  What I remember most is feeling free.

While I was in North Carolina for the last two weeks, I lucked out and got to go down to the beach with just my mom and my sister to stay with my grand-dad.  There isn't much to tell about the trip because it was fairly uneventful, but that's exactly what I wanted.  I wished I had gotten a few more photos, but, hey, I didn't feel like it at the time.

The box of Kleenex and I were attached at the hip. 


 Mom - if you say one word about not liking this picture then
I'll blow it up and put it on Facebook.








1 comment:

  1. "That's it. It's not especially romantic but, to me, it's childhood." that's exactly what i feel too.

    ReplyDelete