Monday, August 1, 2011

Heart strings: ripped.

Today I was thinking about this cellist that I love, Ben Sollee.  I was thinking about his voice and the grace with which he plays the cello and how his sound sweeps over me and washes over me, clean.  I wasn't listening to him today, just thinking about him.  


Then, I remembered that I looked up his tour dates several weeks ago and was saddened that he wasn't coming near Seattle.  It seems that, with the influx of musicians there are in this city, I never seem to know any of them, so I never go hear music.  Or...rarely.  That's a sad thing for me.  But, I got home from work today, longing for his sweet sounds, and decided to check just one more time.  When the page of his tour dates loaded, my heart jumped because I saw the word, "Seattle."  Then, my heart lept, because I saw the words "August" and "02."  The rolodex in my mind ferociously spun - what day is it?  What week is it?  What time zone am I in?  Where do I live?  What country is this?  


It's August 01.  The day before Ben's show.  Ben's show is in the
future.  That means I haven't missed it.

So quickly my rolodex shifted gears, into reality, and I began running through my actual schedule for tomorrow.  I knew I had to work, and I knew I had a meeting after work - I had just checked the calendar on my phone.  My meeting ended at 6:30.  The concert is at 7:30 - PRAISE BE TO THE MUSIC LORD ABOVE!  My heart sang!

So, I frantically fumbled for my phone and called my meeting leader, leaving him a frenzied and chaotic message about wanting to double check that I had our meeting time correct because this guy was coming in town and maybe I could just make it to the show and that I peed my pants a little.  That was probably a little too much information, but word vomit had completely taken over.  I hung up the phone with a slight grin and crazed look in my eye.

Then, I opened my e-mail.  I found the last e-mail from my meeting leader to double, double check.  And...there it was.  "7:30 - 9:30."  My heart turned into a black, volcanic rock and sank to the bottom of my ocean.

I sent him a message telling him to disregard my voicemail.  

I will not be going to the concert tomorrow.  

I will be in a meeting, humming Ben Sollee tunes, and very bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment