Friday, October 1, 2010

"It gets better"

Over the summer term, I had the privilege of getting to know a particular friend at Mars Hill in a really unique way. I met Jonathan when I visited MHGS back in November of 2008 for the first time - we interviewed together. During our first year at school we didn't spend much time together, but while we were both taking the Multicultural Issues class that I have mentioned in previous entries, we ended up at the same table for the entire class term.

Over the course of the term, Jonathan and I got to know each other more during the uber-intense conversations that a class such as that would elicit. Long story short, we had to write an "ethnic identity development paper" for one of our assignments and he chose to write a "sexual identity development paper" since he identifies as homosexual. Therefore, he thought it appropriate to adapt this assignment to his circumstances because of the ways in which he experiences life as a minority. As part of his final assignment as a minority, he had to read his development paper to 2 or 3 people of his choosing - and he asked me. There were a variety of reasons he wanted to read his paper and discuss it with me, but no matter what, it was a huge honor.

I tell you this because he was also chosen to be a part of Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project. Jonathan made a video for youth in Ex-Gay Christian ministries - which he was a part of in high school and college - in order to inspire and encourage them. I got to hear about his experiences in his paper, but I wanted to share the video with you.

I think the things going on in and around my school are pretty great. Jon has a great perspective, huge heart, and a lot to say. I hope to get to know him better during our time together in Seattle. I also hope that this video can spur some thoughtful conversation around homosexuality and the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment