Saturday, October 30, 2010

'Am I Broken?'

T works at a school for kids with varying developmental disabilities known as CHILD, or, The Children's Institute.  This past year, right before T began working there, some movie-making people starting filming for a documentary about the school.  Filming is complete and now the film is set to be released in Sept. 2011.  I have posted the trailer for you to get an idea of what his day-to-day life entails.

It's interesting being on the other side of this school - just hearing the stories and having the husband come home from here everyday.  Most days, I can't really imagine the stories he has are real.  I can't imagine them actually happening and that these kids are struggling so badly.  T has proven himself to be unbelievably brave in going in to a field with so little training; not only that, but they freaking love him.  There's even talk of a possible promotion already.

We have an interesting dynamic in our household - I'm going to school for the work that he's actually out doing Monday through Friday.  I have only gotten a taste, through his experience, of what it will be like to carry the burdens of people on my shoulders when I come home from work.  It's a heavy load.  T's strength is only something I can hope to have half of once I am in the field.  He's a great role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment