Monday, March 29, 2010

First-Hand Inspiration

I just got home from an awe-inspiring Marriage & Family class. Today, a couple that one of our professors has been working with for over three years came in to dialogue about their story and their experiences in therapy. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality limitations, I can't share too much of what took place in class today, but it was truly an honor to be in their presence. Not only did I feel inspired as a future therapist, but also as a future wife.

They were indeed a rare couple in the way that they have chosen to fight for their marriage despite some deep, deep wounding. Most couples, I have learned, are absolutely not willing to put in the work that it takes not only to keep a marriage in tact, but neither to hope for the glory that can come out of a marriage.

I have been learning so much about what to expect out of marriage - again, as a future therapist and also as a future wife. Most encouraging has been shifting my definition of expectation to be an invitation to glory and intimacy rather than a requirement to fulfill a particular role.

It was an invaluable experience to hear this couple's experience of how they came to therapy, what it was like for them, and to have their therapist in the room - our professor - to reflect on his experience of them as well. The couple shared what they appreciated about Steve: his willingness to address difficult things, that they both felt like he was their advocate and did not take sides, he was honest yet gentle, he shined a positive light on difficult things, and that he was Christ to them rather than preached at them.

I want to be that kind of therapist. I want to hear and see people for who they really are rather than to assume and offer empty, hopeless help.

I want to be that kind of spouse. I want to hear and see T for who he really is, to fight for him and invite him into the potential that I know he holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment