Friday, March 26, 2010

March Madness

[Like the new layout? I thought the ol' blog could use a makeover in hopes of making me more excited to update it. We'll see how that works out.]

Too bad this phrase doesn't apply to the current UNC basketball status, right? We don't need to go there.

Instead, I'm talking life. Five papers and two final exams in the next three weeks. Oh, and have I mentioned the five papers I have turned in over the past two weeks? That's right: madness.

Although we're not doing quite as much "introspective" work per se this term, I feel a lot heavier now than I remember feeling at the end of last term. Tensions feel higher and the weight of it all feels more difficult to carry. Although I don't have quite as many suitcases this time around, it's as if the ones I do have have been packed fuller.

The cool thing is that I can feel myself leaning into this difficulty, into the work. I'm used to just shutting down when things get hard or just when I feel overwhelmed with work. I just shut down and turn on autopilot to get me across the finish line. But I'm trying my damnedest to keep my head in the game; to remember that this education is not just about the grade, not just about the work or even the degree. I could have stayed in North Carolina and gotten a degree really easily, avoiding all of this internal exposure crap. But I didn't uproot my life just to get a degree. This is worth so much more, so much more is at stake. When I can remember that, as I'm yawning through long shifts at the triple-B or staying up to write yet another paper, I can actually feel a push. A push toward something greater, more significant than just a diploma in a frame.

Let me tell you though, it's so much easier said than done. But it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment