Saturday, October 15, 2011

[Testing the waters for trying to post something on a more regular basis.  I know it won't last for long, but I thought it might be fun.]

Random thought of the day: I'm in a tomboy phase, despite the fact that I was in a very feminine phase two weeks ago when I bought a new pair of high heels.  So, I wear bright red lipstick with my Chuck Taylor's, and I wear ripped jeans with my heels.  I believe this is the quintessential definition of "hipster." Well, crap, now I've done it.  I've officially succumbed to all that is Seattle.  A reference for you from Urban Dictionary:
Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind, it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. (Read more here).
There we have it.  Maybe that's why I'm so confused - because that's the "hipsterism" state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment