Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sabbath

(...Semi-continued from the previous post.  That one got to be too long and I knew no one would keep reading.  But, really, you're supposed to read that one and then this one).  


We came home and slept for two hours after filling our bellies.  We slept while we held each other tightly.  We slept - I drooled (on T's shirt!).  Then we cooked some Southern offerings to contribute to our Sabbath gathering this evening - my Mimi's sweet potato casserole and sweet tea.  Our Sabbath group has really grown to appreciate Southern cooking - how could they not with winners like that?  We decided to share the Eucharist together and I asked if I could share some poems out of a book I just recently fell so in love with that I purchased it for full price.  Here is what I shared with them, in order: (By the way, I think it is unjust to read poems silently, in your head.  Even if you are alone, read them aloud.  Whisper them.  Slowly.  Otherwise, you're just reading more words and feeling not very much.  The point is to feel)...


The God Who Only Knows Four Words

Every
Child
Has known God,
Not the God of names,
Not the God of don'ts,
Not the God who ever does
Anything weird
But the God who only knows four words
And keeps repeating them, saying:
"Come dance with Me."
Come
Dance.

God's Bucket

If this world
Was not held in God's bucket

How could an ocean stand upside down
On its head and never lose a drop?


If your life was not contained in God's cup


How could you be so brave and laugh, 
Dance in the face of death?


There is a private chamber in the soul
That knows a great secret


Of which no tongue can speak.


Your existence my dear, O love my dear,
Has been sealed and marked


"Too sacred," "too sacred," by the Beloved - 
To ever end!


Indeed God 
Has written a thousand promises
All over your heart


That say, 
Life, life, life, 
Is far to sacred to
Ever end.


I Got Kin


Plant
So that your own heart 
Will grow.


Love
So God will think,


"Ahhhhh,
I got kin that that body!
I should start inviting that soul over
For coffee and
Rolls."


Sing
Because this is a food
Our starving world
Needs.


Laugh
Because that is the purest
Sound.


I hope that your respective Easter Sunday's had moments of peace, rest, and hope.  It is good.

(All poems by Hafiz, from The Gift).

No comments:

Post a Comment