Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Research

I'm writing a conjoined theology research paper with a friend about food, community, and faith.  This morning, I started reading Robert Farrar Capon's The Supper of the Lamb and I already think he's my favorite person - I'm twelve pages in.  His second chapter, "The First Session," is devoted to the act and art of cutting an onion.  Yes.  That's it.  Let me give you a taste:
Once you are seated, the first order of business is to address yourself to the onion at hand.  (You must firmly resist the temptation to feel silly.  If necessary, close the doors so no one will see you; but do not give up out of embarrassment.)  You will note, to begin with, that the onion is a thing, a being, just as you are.  Savor that for a moment.  The two of you sit here in a mutual confrontation.  Together with knife, board, table, and chair, you are the constituents of a place in the highest sense of the word.  This is a Session, a meeting, a society of things.  (p. 11).
There is too much I want to read to finish this thing in a week and a half! 

No comments:

Post a Comment