Wednesday, December 8, 2010

You may remember this piece I shared by David Robinson a while back, Circuitous Precipice.  As I prepare for my last day of Theology class tomorrow (and my last day of class this term!), I have to turn in some journal articles about really anything that was significant to me in the class.  So I wrote a poem about this sculpture, because I think about it a lot.


The Story of a Drop (in response to Circuitous Precipice)
     
     You fell like a raindrop,
     That was grabbed by the earth,
          Pulled out,
     From its home in the sky


     It clings to the clouds
          Thick, gray, and rolling
     Until it can grip no more
           And gives in to the tugging


Releases


     It hurtles through the air
     Slices every molecule
     We can almost hear it tear
     Down
          Down
               Down
     Until it meets the earth
     And explodes on the surface
     And soaks the surface


Seeps


     Crawls over the bumps
     Creeps into the crevices
     And it saturates
          it permeates
               it infiltrates
     Until it is called upon,
     Pulled in once again
     By the grip of those roots
     Sunk deep into the land


     It powers through the dirt
     Tosses aside boulders
          Like pebbles
     To reach the roots
     That call for it
     To save them from
     Shriveling up
          Into
               Nothing.


     And it gets to them,
          Just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment