Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I've had this urge over the past few months, but especially in recent weeks, to read poetry.  I have a few favorite poets, but I honestly haven't been exposed to many.  With all that extra free time I have, you can imagine I've really been able to dig in and find some good stuff.  Yea.


In Theology today, however, my desires were affirmed as we began to explore the concept of the Incarnation through visual art and poetry.  We read a quote that said,


Poetry cracks open our everyday lives, the mundane worlds in which we spend so much unconscious time, and it releases the extraordinary, bringing us to  different level of attentiveness.” - Jill Pelaez Baumgaertner
and another,
“The job of the poet is to draw up out of the unconscious an awareness of something that is greater than anything that can be expressed in words. It might even be called a revealing of God’s presence, or God’s incarnating in a particular way to this particular poet, whose task it is to articulate the experience and pass it on. To surprise you. To shake you up. To renew your sense of wonder at your being, and God’s being, and the mystery of creation.” - Kathleen Norris
All this to say.  Read some poetry - on my behalf.

1 comment: