Sunday, February 12, 2012

A little story...

We had roughly four incredible days of weather in Seattle this past week: sunshine, only a light jacket needed, and lots of walking instead of driving.  On one of the days that I had class, I wanted to take advantage of the bit of good weather and read outside in the Sculpture Park before sitting inside in front of a computer for several hours.  So, I settled down on this bench overlooking the Olympic Mountains, Elliott Bay, and the train tracks.  I read a bit, watched some of the pedestrians and runners going by, and enjoyed the warm sun.  While I'm trying to concentrate, I overheard the conversation of a gentleman on the phone.  I turned around to see a man in his mid-50s, wearing rolled-up khakis and a bright red windbreaker walking a bright teal bicycle down the gravel sidewalk with a vintage suitcase strapped to the back, talking on his bluetooth.  It was an odd combination of things to exist all at once.  The conversation he was having seemed even more strange; though I didn't get many of the details, I heard snippets like, "Well, that's wisdom honey...We know you stole it..."  He sounded heated.  I went back to reading.  Then, low and behold a few minutes later, I hear trumpet-music.  I look up.  It's the guy.  He's in the corner of the park with the vintage suitcase open on a wall, playing old church hymns on his trumpet and smoking a cigar.  A cigar!  I literally laughed out loud.  And it was some of the most beautiful music I'd ever heard!  He played about seven or eight songs, packed up his trumpet, and walked his bike back down the path - cigar in hand.

I recorded some for you.


In case you didn't know - I love this city.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what's wrong with a guy in his mid-50's in khakis smoking a cigar? I just trade the trumpet for a 7 iron.....

    ReplyDelete