Friday, November 18, 2011

I love my school.  Sometimes I forget that I do - mainly when I have a thousand and one things due in a very short amount of time.  But it really is a little slice of amazing.  

Last night I drove there straight from my internship for what we call Thanksgiving Vespers, "a time of rest and relaxation."  This was my first time going in three years at The Seattle School.  I was guided through a series of interactive stations (called a Labyrinth) on one of the floors of our building - candlelit, pulsing instrumental music, cinnamon-scented, contemplative.  The Labyrinth guided us to the large classroom (those of you that have visited know what I'm talking about - the one with the giant garage doors).  All of the tables and chairs had been moved out of the room and replaced with two or three big clusters of candles - that flickering light and a couple of subdued lamps were the only light in the room.  We're told ahead of time to bring blankets and pillows.  So as I walk in to this dimly-lit room filled with with the sounds of meditative music, my peers are scattered all over the floor, curled up in their blankets - some asleep, some swaying to music, some staring at candles.  No one speaking.  

And that, my friends, was an hour and a half.  

Talk about rest.  Talk about thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment